Our code of conduct is “Show respect and tolerance for each other’s uniqueness. Be kind and practice the golden rule.”
We have NO TOLERANCE for physical, verbal, or sexual harassment; intimidation; or marginalization of any human!
Put another way: any action, behavior, speech, or dress that causes significant interference with event operations, significant discomfort to other participants, or adversely affects BSidesSF’s relationship with its participants, its venues, or the public is strictly forbidden. Such issue may result in refusal of entry, revocation of your event badge or access (including any intermediate steps such as muting or banning), expulsion from the event/property, and reporting to the authorities.
Simply put, “Do not be an ass* or we will kick your ass out!”
For clarification, asking questions during a talk to gain clarity or to disagree with what is being presented is not being an ass; heckling or haranguing the presenter is. If you are not sure where to draw this line, err on the side of basic decency and common courtesy. Or ask yourself, “Would I condone this behavior if done to me, my best friend, sister, niece, daughter, brother, nephew, son, mother, or father?” If the answer is anything but yes, then do not treat anyone in this manner. If someone asks you to stop, you must STOP.
Be careful with the words that you choose. We are a community of professionals, and we conduct ourselves professionally. Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other participants. Again, harassment and other exclusionary behavior aren’t acceptable. This list includes, but is not limited to:
- Discriminatory jokes and language
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material
- Posting (or threatening to post) other people’s personally identifying information (“doxing”)
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability
- Repeated harassment of others. In general, if someone asks you to stop, then stop
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language
- Inappropriate photography or recording
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including sexualized comments or jokes, inappropriate messaging, language, touching, groping, and unwelcome sexual advances
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following (online or in-person)
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations
- Denigration or insults based on political beliefs or ideology
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
When we disagree, try to understand why. Disagreements, both social and technical, happen all the time, and the BSidesSF community is no exception. We must resolve disputes and differing views constructively. Remember that we’re different. The strength of our community comes from its varied perspectives. We pride ourselves on being people from a diverse range of backgrounds. We thrive because other people have different views on issues. Being unable to understand why someone holds a viewpoint doesn’t mean that they’re wrong. Don’t forget that it is human to err, and blaming each other doesn’t get us anywhere. Instead, focus on helping to resolve issues and learning from mistakes.
If you have any issue or witness any behavior by any participant, staff, or volunteer (no matter who they are) that is not consistent with our Code of Conduct, please report it to a staff member or to a member of our Public Safety Team. They will call our Incident Response Team, who will take an official incident report and determine the next steps.
For other non-event related incident concerns, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
*The BSidesSF staff reserves the right to determine what constitutes “being an ass”. It may include any unlawful behavior.
There are risks involved in any event. By attending BSidesSF, you assume all risks incidental to the event and release BSidesSF and its respective staff and affiliates from all claims related to or arising out of the event or your presence at the event. In other words, you, your heirs, assigns, successors, personal representatives, and executors will not make a claim against, sue, or attach the property of BSidesSF or any BSidesSF director, officer, or volunteer for injury or damages arising out of or in connection to your participation in this event. Your badge/access is a revocable license to enter the event. If you do not comply with all applicable policies of the event, we reserve the right, without providing a refund (if applicable), to refuse entry or eject you (or any other intermediate step, such as muting or banning, as applicable).